Created by Glaciers
Benzie County is an area of sand dunes, bluffs, rolling hills, orchards, meadows, lakes and rivers. Put all of these on the shore of Lake Michigan and you have one of the best vacation places in the state—truly Pure Michigan. Beautiful lakes and rivers for water sports abundant with various species of fish for the sportsman and over 60 miles of shoreline with sandy beaches help to make this a "vacation paradise".
Benzie is a Four Season Playground. Home to the #1 Ski Resort in the Midwest, over 10,000 acres of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, Point Betsie Lighthouse, the Betsie Valley Trail, and much more, Benzie has avenues of activity for everyone. Wilderness seekers, especially, enjoy this very special corner of the world.
Benzie’s abundance of water, including Betsie River and Platte River, attracts thousands of people who enjoy canoeing, kayaking, and exploring nature along the waterways. East of Elberta is The Betsie River State Game Area which is 50 miles of state-designated Natural River from Grass Lake.
What you will find in Benzie County:
- 8 Golf courses
- Over 100 Miles of Hiking, Cross-country, and Snowshoe Trails
- Bicycle Trails along shores, through meadows and forests
- 135 Miles of groomed snowmobile trails
- Over 20 Miles of the famous Scenic Highway M-22
- 10,000 + acres of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
- Small towns and Quaint Villages full of friendly people
- Unique shops, art galleries and restaurants to explore
- Gwen Frostic’s Presscraft Papers
- The #1 Ski Resort in the Midwest with 45 downhill slopes and Cross-Country Ski Trails
- Betsie and Platte Rivers for canoeing, kayaking, or tubing in a natural setting
- 25 Miles of Lake Michigan Shoreline
- More than 50 lakes including Crystal Lake, Platte Lakes, and Lake Ann
- National and State Forests full of wildlife and native flora
- Spectacular Fall Color
- Morel Mushrooms
- Lake Michigan Fishing Charters
- DNR Fish Hatchery near Honor, the ‘Birthplace of Salmon’ in Michigan
- Fishing Tournaments
- Lighthouses-including the most photographed on Lake Michigan
- Museums and Historical Sites including a Life Saving Station in Elberta
- Lodging Choices to fit anyone’s needs
- History, Culture and Art
What you will find near Benzie County:
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore's Scenic Stocking Drive and Dune Climb
- Interlochen Center for the Arts
- Traverse City Shopping and the Cherry Festival
- Casinos within 60 miles
Benzie is Northern Michigan Preserved
Benzie is Northern Michigan Preserved Benzie’s small towns and villages, Frankfort, Elberta, Beulah, Benzonia, Honor, Lake Ann and Thompsonville have unique shops, art galleries and restaurants all waiting to be explored. Within 20 miles is the internationally renowned Interlochen Center for the Arts. Numerous artists, musicians, and professionals have made the Benzie area their home. Gwen Frostic’s Presscraft Papers is located in Benzonia just off US 31.
Benzie County is a popular place for weddings, reunions and other gatherings. Many people are looking for a unique, memorable setting and Benzie is perfect with its beaches, Point Betsie Lighthouse, Elberta’s Historic Lifesaving Station, and Resorts all willing to make it a special occasion full of memories.
Stay In Benzie and explore our area. You will see why it’s Pure Michigan with the feeling of “Northern Michigan Preserved”.